Sunday, October 11, 2015

Firework in Changsha (3)

In this blog, firstly I will show my interview with my oral English teacher Ms. Omiya, who is an American lived in Changsha for the past two years. Then I will demonstrate my classmates' opinions about weekly firework in Changsha. Lastly I will present my opinions about the weekly fireworks.

Here are Ms. Omiya's responses to my questions:
1. What do you think is the purpose for setting off fireworks at every weekend in Changsha?
Ms. Omiya: The weekly shows celebrate and advertise the beauty and invention of fireworks in China. It has grown into a local summer tradition in Changsha where families, couples, and friends gather around the riverside parks to enjoy the familiar percussion at night. By setting them off every weekend, the city compares its attraction and magic to Disney World in Florida, America's most poplular family Entertainment park.
2. Does setting off fireworks fulfill its goal?
Ms. Omiya: If the goal of the city's fireworks was to celebrate the magical invention with the local community, then I don't think it reached its full potential yet. As an audience member, the first week of fireworks is exciting and a moment of elated gathering among friends and family. However, after the first weekend, my group and I seldom planned to return. The fireworks draw a massive crowd so traffic and finding space was a hassle we quickly learned to avoid. Also, it's repetitive nature of weekly shows made the blasts less novel for residents. 
3. What are the problems caused by weekly firework shows in Changsha?
Ms. Omiya: Besides contributing to the already frustrating amount of air pollution, I think the fireworks exemplify how advertisement can be overwhelming when repeated too much too loudly.
4. Do you think it necessary to have firework shows at every weekend?
Ms. Omiya: I would associate fireworks as as something more special if it only happened a few times a year.
5. What are your suggestions for it?
Ms. Omiya: Reduce the firework shows three times a year. 

As for the responses collected from my peers, most of them deem making a business card and attracting tourists for Changsha as main purposes of weekly firework shows. They also expressed their concerns about air pollution, traffic congestion and noise pollution caused by weekly fireworks. They thought that a good solution to it might be playing creative firework shows only in festivals. Therefore, air pollution in Changsha could be alleviated to some extent. 

In my opinion, I agree with Ms. Omiya and my peers that firework shows could be reduced to three times per year if Changsha wants to have a beautiful blue sky. After all, people will be happier to watch several creative firework shows rather than tedious and repetitive weekly firework shows. Citizens will enjoy a beautiful and clean sky everyday, but not repetitive and boring firework shows every weekend.     

No comments:

Post a Comment